Sunday, August 8, 2010

One plus two plus one plus one...

So, I was originally going to make this a weekly blog, and still might. I had an experience this morning that I want to share, albeit in an edited form. If you are considering taking Alli, know that the "treatment effects" (if you want details, read the package...I know, right!) are very real. I made a nice Sunday breakfast for the family. We had eggs (I used egg whites for myself), turkey bacon and toast. I carefully counted the fat to make sure I stayed in the plan's average...except I forgot to count the spread I used on the toast. I went from 14 grams of fat without the spread to 22 with it! The highest recommended intake of fat per meal on the plan is 19. Yeah, I went over. Yeah, I had some "treatment effects". Yeah, I won't be making that mistake again!

On the brighter side, I found a couple of really good breads that are low in Weight Watcher's Points, low fat and high fiber. They even taste good! Both are made by Arnold. The first is their Sandwich Thins. I am not someone who likes a lot of bread in my sandwich. I also tend to not like the whole grain/high fiber wraps because they tend to be chewy. The sandwich thins address both issues. They are 100 calories, 0 grams of fat and around 5 grams of fiber. They taste really good and are about as thick as a pita. The texture is very tender, and they hold up well to standard sandwich fare. Wetter condiments, like fresh salsa, soak through the bottom fairly quickly. It didn't really become soggy, but the sandwich was more difficult to hold onto. This has become my go-to bread for sandwiches!

The other product is Arnold's Whole Grain, Double Fiber bread. It also clocks in at 100 calories, with 1.5 grams of fat and 6 grams of fiber per slice. That makes it twice as expensive in Points or calorie value as the Sandwich Thins (two halves of those equal one serving). Where this shines for me is toast. The bread is very tender, almost crumbly when I added the I Can't Believe it's Not Butter spread. It has a nutty flavor, as you would expect from whole grain, but was not seedy. I don't mind bread with seeds, but for that All-American bacon and eggs breakfast, this comes close to traditional white bread as you can get without being white bread.
Give these a try and tell me what you think! Oh, and for those that didn't get the title reference, check out Clue: The Movie. It's an 80's comedy with an all-star cast and my wife's favorite movie. Well worth the air-popped popcorn with butter spray!

No comments:

Post a Comment