Sunday, August 15, 2010

First week...

Ok, so we are a week in to the new Alli combined with Weight Watchers program. I counted fat, I counted points, I exercised. The scale at home went steadily down to the tune of six pounds through the week. I was stoked, ready to go into the weekly meeting and trumpet my triumph. I even weighed myself before I left for the meeting so I would know what to expect with the clothes I was going to wear that day.

I get to the counter, sign in and step on the scale. Watching with a smile, I saw her write the new number down. According to their scale, I was down ONE POUND. I was confused, I was dissapointed, I was destroyed. All that work, the careful checking. Granted, the home scale wasn't always 100% reliable, but I expected at least three pounds. Maybe it was our scale...

So, we bought a new scale. Nothing too fancy, but nothing cheap, either. I tore it open, get on and...I was down six pounds from last week. Hmmm....now I know that weight fluctuates, but I don't see it fluctuating by five pounds in under an hour, especially when I have nothing to eat or drink. I amlost wonder if the scale I chose at this week's meeting might have been off by a pound or more. While Weight Watchers does keep their scales pretty well tuned, it's not unheard of. Those scales get a lot of work in a week. I have a funny, funny feeling that I will see a big drop next week, especially since I won't go to that station again.

I know I lost more than one pound, despite the agruing scales. How do I know? I wore a shirt this week that I haven't worn in a year and a half because it was too tight to button. It fit very well. My pants are also fitting better, another sign that the weight is slipping off. These NSV's (non-scale victories) were enough to get me past the numbers and keep me on-track. Oh, and the fear of fat. While there have been no more "treatment effects" (don't you just love marketers?), I do live in fear and watch those numbers closely.

All-in-all, a positive week. A lot of habits are being changed for the better. Success or failure cannot be guaged with one week, but only after the entire picture has been seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment